Friday, February 20, 2009

Give it a try...Banana Cake!

OK, so I had never even heard of Banana cake until my friend Julie started talking about it several months ago. So, when I had these bad bananas looking at me & waiting to go into a bread, I decided to give this a try!

I found a great new recipe to try, where else but on my favorite website - www.allrecipes.com & found a frosting that I thought would be nice on the cake. After taking the advice of other reviewers, I did add 1 cup of sour cream, used a Betty Crocker butter yellow cake mix & baked in a 9 x 13 pan for 40 minutes (rather than the hour that the recipe says).

Wonderful Banana Cake submitted by Carolyn Micklas
INGREDIENTS
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS
Prepare yellow cake mix according to package directions.
Mash the bananas with the baking soda and stir into the cake mix batter. Pour batter into one greased and floured 9x13 inch baking pan.
Do not preheat oven. Place uncooked cake in oven and turn oven on to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 1 hour. Let cake cool thoroughly and then refrigerate.

Yes, I realize there is a row missing...I couldn't resist before it was frosted! And I also realize that the frosting doesn't look so hot! I think I should have put it in my kitchen aide for a bit with the whisk attachment! It tasted good though!



My frosting, again allrecipes.com! With the advice of other, I only used 1 cup of powdered sugar and I used a full 8 oz of cream cheese with the 8 oz tub of cool whip. It was great, a perfect match for this cake!!

Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting submitted by CUMMINGS
INGREDIENTS
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.

No comments: