Friday, January 16, 2009

Chocolate ugly Cake

OK, so tried this cake from Tastefully Simple in Dec of 2007 & had I known it was going to be SO good, I'd of bought one or two more! Found this recipe on someone's blog yesterday when I was goofing around on the internet. May have to give it a try just to see how it compares!

Copycat of Tastefully Simple Chocolate Ugly Cake

1 (515 g) box chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9"X13" baking pan. Stir together the cake mix, eggs, water, and oil until combined; set aside. Combine marshmallows and brown sugar; set aside. In another bowl, combine cocoa powder and 2 cups hot water. Combine marshmallow and cocoa mixtures and pour into the greased 9"X13" pan. Spoon prepared cake mix evenly over all. *** DO NOT MIX TOGETHER. *** Bake for 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan and then flip onto a platter. The cake should have a wonderfully rich layer of chocolaty pudding type sauce on top.

Notes: I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix, Hershey's cocoa powder, and storebrand (Safeway) marshmallows. I also did not flip the cake over since I don't have a rectangular platter; I just scooped out the cake from the pan with a spoon. The cake comes out light and fluffy, which I didn't really expect, but is incredibly awesome.

It really is pretty ugly.

No comments: